Guess what? The sweltering heat says “Summer Ain’t over yet!” so get out of the house this weekend with these fun things to do…
1) PAGAN PRIDE: Who knew pagans had their own pride day? I act like a pagan every day. But pagans proper get together every year at the Ted Williams Camp in Lakeville (where else?) to “learn and participate in a celebration of spirituality of pagan traditions and beliefs,” according to the Southeastern Mass Pagan Pride Day website. This year’s Pagan Pride day is Sun. Sept. 11.
SEMA PPD is a nonprofit organization established to raise awareness of earth-centered belief systems in local communities. Pagan Pride Day is free and its Facebook event page states, “We have open ritual, musical entertainment, free workshops (classes) and many merchants attending to make this a festival of pride and celebration!” Plus, bring a non perishable food item if you are able. A goat, maybe…?
2) WHEELS FOR HILLARY: “I’m with her! Bus to New Hampshire on Saturday!” – Local Dems are hitting the road from SoCo to lend Hillary some support in the Granite State. The “I’m with her! Bus to New Hamphsire!” tour takes off Saturday morning, Sept 10 from the Shaw’s parking lot (15 State Road, Dartmouth) and arrives in Nashua at 12:30 p.m. You’ll stump for Clinton until 4:30 and then head back home.
Organizers write, “…canvas for Hillary Clinton and other Democrats to make it a Blue State for the Presidency, the Senate and the House!” Any questions? Send an email to Clinton at…um, never mind. Enough with the damn emails, already!
3) CALIFORNIA SUITE: Okay – this one is indoors but that’s okay; too much sun exposure may turn you into a pagan. New Bedford’s venerable Your Theatre premieres their latest production, Neil Simon’s “California Suite” this weekend.
Neil Simon sometimes gets overlooked in the pantheon of American playwrights but his reign on Broadway began in the Mad Men era and stretched into the ’90s. Revivals since Y2K have floundered but his clever verbiage is a staple of regional theatre – for good reason. Line for line, it’s hard to beat the wit Simon infuses into every word of his dialogue. California Suite is a romp in the well-appointed hay and tailor-made for Your Theatre’s theatrical troupe.
Your Theatre was once located in the very space Groundwork! now calls home at 1213 Purchase Street so we feel a special affinity with the group as we trod the boards here now on the great stage of life!
See the weekend schedule and get tickets at www.YourTheatre.org.
Have a great weekend and see you in the fall – or Monday, whichever comes first.
- A Pride month to be proud of in New Bedford - May 30, 2019
- OUTTAKE: Inside the First Baptist Church renovation - May 2, 2019
- New Bedford Economic Development Council’s Spring Fling - April 30, 2019