We use the messaging app Slack to supplement in-person connections and communication. Slack is awesome for things like:
- Making lunch plans and ordering food with others
- Sharing music
- Sharing social events and opportunities, tickets, etc.
- Breaking the ice with folks if you are new to the space
- Making jokes with goofy emojis and giphys
- Feeling connected even when you aren’t physically at Groundwork!
You are invited to Slack when you become a Groundwork! member, but in case you missed it you can request access here.
- When you join Slack, you are automatically added to the #general and #random channels. Some other good ones to join are #lunch-plans (for lunch dates and takeout orders), #music (to share good music) #events (for event notifications, etc.)
- You can make your own channel if there’s a topic you want to discuss with members!
- Slack has direct messaging if you would like to chat privately with a member
- If you want to send an announcement to the entire channel, start your message with @channel
Want more on Slack? Check out their tutorials and guides.
Here’s a screenshot of the Slack app: